‘Major’ fire closes Staines town centre
A “major” fire closed Staines town centre after a blaze broke out in several industrial units. Homes were evacuated and about 100 firefighters tackled the blaze at the Renshaw Industrial Estate.
Residents reported a series of explosions through the night. The fire service said this was thought to be propane cylinders exploding. Three industrial buildings have been almost completely destroyed.
Surrey Fire and Rescue Service said the fire, which broke out shortly after midnight, was brought under control by the morning but specialist officers remained at the scene for most of the day.
The Rapid Relief Team were continuously serving the emergency services hot and cold drinks throughout the day along with bacon rolls for breakfast, pizza for lunch and subways for the evening meal – hot food was greatly appreciated as the temperature dropped throughout the day.
The Fire Brigade and emergency services were very appreciative and gave the following feedback.
“I have nothing but praise for the Plymouth Brethren RRT. I returned in the morning and asked immediately if I needed a drink. All day they supplied drinks and at lunch enough pizza to supply the crews and Police on scene. They couldn’t have done any more in my opinion and they are a fantastic asset to operations. This is the second time they have assisted and I have been at both jobs and been impressed both times.”
The food and drinks on Monday helped tremendously and you and the team should be proud of your part in resolving this incident in a timely manner.
Please pass on to all concerned our admiration and genuine appreciation for the support you gave to us and the community.”