Biffa recycling depot goes up in smoke August 2016
RRT were called early afternoon, on Monday 8th August to a serious fire at Biffa Waste recycling depot in Marchwood, Southampton, which is where all of the city’s waste and recycling rubbish goes.
At the time of the initial call there were 40 fire fighters on site and more were on the way. In just over an hour this had escalated to 100 crews who were fighting not only against the fire, but the heat of this August day and were keen to welcome RRT members with the much needed cold drinks and snacks.
This wasn’t a roaring fire but was equally as hard to deal with according to the fire crews on site. The depot was deep with cereal boxes, milk bottles, junk mail and all the other things which recycle, and once the flames were knocked back it was a smouldering, intoxicating mass.
The RRT stayed on site to provide the much appreciated welfare until 9:30pm, when the fire crews were winding down and advised RRT that they could now leave as their services were complete. Around 200 packets of crisps were consumed, 200 chocolate bars, 150 bottles of Lucozade, 100 bottles of water and 150 hot drinks.
The RRT were stationed along with the fire engines and emergency services in one of Maritime Transport’s truck parks. Maritime kindly lent the space and inconvenienced themselves to allow the fire crews to do their job.
The Fire crews were most appreciative of what the RRT provided and it was another example of how Hampshire emergency services interact with RRT at serious incidents.